Failed to acquire name 'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'

Garvan Keeley gkeeley at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 5 13:17:21 PST 2014

>> Running the service first with sudo ./geoclue, I can see more output
>>
>>        • $ ./demo/where-am-i
>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
>>        • Client object: /org/freedesktop/GeoClue2/Client/7
>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
>
> Assuming this is the output from geoclue rather than where-am-i (its
> not obvious from the paste above), these types of errors usually
> happen when your environment is somehow screwed (e.g built against a
> different glib than linking against at runtime) but it could also just
> be that you didn't do a clean build with different paths? Try `git
> clean -dfx` and rebuild/install starting from `./autogen.sh
> --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr`. Hope this helps.
>
> Oh and geoclue will output more if you define the environment variable
> G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=Geoclue.

Thanks for the tips. Tried these steps (fresh pull, rebuild with sysconf/prefix, export G_MESSAGES_DEBUG) and getting the same result (no change in output from above). I have multiple linux distros to try (as I am working in VirtualBox), tried another distro, same result as this. So, both Ubuntu 14 LTS and Centos7+Gnome Desktop, same results.
Any more ideas?