Bluetooth and WWAN GPS

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Mon Nov 17 08:38:08 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Sven Arvidsson <sa at whiz.se> wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi Sven,

> I'm curious about the support for Bluetooth GPS in the new Geoclue. At
> the moment I can pair my GPS in GNOME, but it immediately disconnects,
> and does not seem to be used by Geoclue at all?

At least at the moment we don't have support for standalone (USB and
bluetooth) GPS devices. I had a long discussion about this with the
last maintainer of geoclue1, Bastien Nocera. He informed me that main
issue with these devices is that they are not plug-n-play and we'd
need user intervention to set them up and geoclue is aimed for
simplicity. Having said that, I won't be against anyone attempting to
add this support.

You might find this recent discussion interesting if you want to
utilize your phone's GPS:

https://plus.google.com/+ZeeshanAli/posts/VTRtRNcrayc

> My laptop also have a built-in GPS. An Ericsson H5321 gw, but this
> doesn't seem to be picked up by Geoclue. At least the location in GNOME
> Maps seems to be based of WiFI.
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericsson_H5321_gw_Mobile_Broadband_Module

This is likely because support for this is either not present or not
complete in ModemManager. Please file a bug on ModemManager about
this.

> Is there a way to see what sources for location is picked up by Geoclue?

You can run geoclue manually with debug enabled (export
G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=Geoclue) and it'll tell you everything its doing.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)