Bluetooth and WWAN GPS

Sven Arvidsson sa at whiz.se
Wed Nov 19 07:10:49 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 16:38 +0000, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> At least at the moment we don't have support for standalone (USB and
> bluetooth) GPS devices. I had a long discussion about this with the
> last maintainer of geoclue1, Bastien Nocera. He informed me that main
> issue with these devices is that they are not plug-n-play and we'd
> need user intervention to set them up and geoclue is aimed for
> simplicity. Having said that, I won't be against anyone attempting to
> add this support.

Yes, it would be nice to have an easy way to set up Bluetooth GPS
devices in GNOME, but I can understand that it makes sense to focus on
other things first.

> You might find this recent discussion interesting if you want to
> utilize your phone's GPS:
>
> https://plus.google.com/+ZeeshanAli/posts/VTRtRNcrayc

Very interesting! Never heard of that before.

> > My laptop also have a built-in GPS. An Ericsson H5321 gw, but this
> > doesn't seem to be picked up by Geoclue. At least the location in GNOME
> > Maps seems to be based of WiFI.
> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericsson_H5321_gw_Mobile_Broadband_Module
>
> This is likely because support for this is either not present or not
> complete in ModemManager. Please file a bug on ModemManager about
> this.
>
> > Is there a way to see what sources for location is picked up by Geoclue?
>
> You can run geoclue manually with debug enabled (export
> G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=Geoclue) and it'll tell you everything its doing.

I will poke around and file a bug with ModemManager if that's the case.

Thanks for your quick reply!

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson