Geoclue-2.20 not working with gnome-3.16.x

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Sat Aug 1 06:54:19 PDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:48 PM, John Frankish <john.frankish at outlook.com> wrote:

>> > Gnome-maps-3.16.2

>> > As mentioned, there are no error messages when gnome-maps is started from the
>> > console - there's only a pop-up when I click on the location icon in maps that states
>> > it cannot connect to location services.
>>
>> I'd suggest you file a bug on Maps then cause the demo where-am-i connects fine so it's Maps' specific issue.
>>
> Just to be sure I've understood, if where-am-I is working, all you get is:
>
> " Client object: /org/freedesktop/GeoClue2/Client/1"
>
> ..and nothing else?

Well you should be getting a location but of course it's not
guaranteed and depends on many factors but at least you are not
getting any errors. If this is a desktop machine without WiFi, your
only bet is GeoIP and that's not a very reliable or complete method
(and it would require internet access). You can make the app wait a
bit longer by using the -t option and see what geoclue says on the
console when app connects to it. Debugging can be turned on by
defining `G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=Geoclue`.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)