Geoclue-2.20 not working with gnome-3.16.x

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Mon Aug 3 10:09:50 PDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 5:37 PM, John Frankish <john.frankish at outlook.com> wrote:

>  > > - all good now :)
>> >
>> Glad to hear you sorted that one out. However you having to add apps to geoclue.conf is still an issue.
>> If you could possibly follow up on that bug and if you could possibly dig deeper, that would be extremely helpful
>> since I can't reproduce the issue. I'll still have a closer look to see what might be the issue today..
>>
> Sure, I'll keep an eye on the bug and dig deeper if I can.

Thanks.

> If you would like to try to duplicate yourself, you can run tinycorelinux corepure64 from an iso burnt to cd and, with a wired connection, download all of the required extensions (packages) to run gnome-maps - let me know if you're interested.

Interesting, why wired connection?

>> > I see my location is more than 100km from my actual location in maps...
>>
>> That's likely cause your area's wifi networks are not in Mozilla location services database.
>>
>> You can easily fix that if you have an android phone:
>>
>> https://location.services.mozilla.com/apps
>>
> I'd be surprised if orange.fr was not in the database, but in France you never know...

All the WiFi data is harvested by individual contributors through that
app I pointed to. If nobody in your neighbourhood has been running
that app or driving through it with that app running, there is little
chances of your neighbourhood wifi networks being in the database.

> Note that I need to run gnome-weather as root to get location services to work with it and creating an entry in geoclue.conf does not help.
>
> I guess I need to modify either of:
>
> /usr/local/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.Weather.Application.service
> /usr/local/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.Weather.BackgroundService.service
>
> ..to run as root, but is this the correct way to fix this?

Not at all. What I think is happening is that when you connect as
root, geoclue doens't have an agent for that user (gnome-shell is
running as normal user) so it doesn't ask agent. As for why it's not
working, I'm once again stumped cause it really should be working.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)