Geoclue2 and GPSD

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Jun 26 02:35:01 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-06-26 at 12:21 +0300, Александр Волков wrote:
> > > I don't really understand you. What do mean by "calibrated"?
> > He meant setup/paired/etc.
> How does it prevent using GPSd?

It doesn't.

> It's a job of a user to correctly setup GPSd, it's a job of GPSd to
> communicate with devices.

Sure. And Geoclue has no configuration.

> Why do you care about it?

Because we don't want Geoclue to have configuration.

> > > Why don't just take values provided by GPSd?
> > Because gpsd is awful:
> > http://gypsy.freedesktop.org/why-not-gpsd.html
>
> Are you kidding? How old is this article? Almost everything is wrong
> there and this zombie must be killed.

Feel free to write your own reply, I'm not interested.

> BTW, the last release of gypsy was on 28 Aug 2012 and GPSd is
> actively
> developed.

Probably because gypsy is completely obsoleted by GPS devices built in
3G modems which we support out of the box.

>  From the standpoint of an application developer it would be much
> better
> to use only Geoclue2.

I completely agree with that.

I'm not interested in supporting GPSd. People will be able to feed data
from GPSd, gypsy or whatever else by feeding it through Geoclue's
network source support.