is GeoClue using GPSD?

Nikolai Neff nineff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:29:12 UTC 2017

Hello!

Currently I'm trying to get Gnome Maps to display my location based on
my USB-GPS receiver (NL-602U). However geoclue seems to only provide
very rough data based on my IP address. The receiver is working fine
with GPSD and its clients like Navit.

I couldn't really find any documentation regarding the use of GPS in
combination with GeoClue, so that's why I'm asking here. However I was
able to find a seemingly outdated geoclue-gpsd package for Ubuntu
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/utils/geoclue-gpsd) from 2012.

You can see a screenshot of the vastly different results cgps and
geoclue give me here: http://imgur.com/a/vBu99

best regards,
Nikolai Neff