is GeoClue using GPSD?

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Sun Feb 26 16:42:37 UTC 2017

Hi Nikolai,

On 26 February 2017 at 14:29, Nikolai Neff <nineff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Currently I'm trying to get Gnome Maps to display my location based on my
> USB-GPS receiver (NL-602U). However geoclue seems to only provide very rough
> data based on my IP address. The receiver is working fine with GPSD and its
> clients like Navit.
>
> I couldn't really find any documentation regarding the use of GPS in
> combination with GeoClue, so that's why I'm asking here.

Unfortunately there is no support currently:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/geoclue/2015-June/000687.html
(please read that thread on this topic) but the network NMEA source
mentioned in there has been in place for a while now so it shouldn't
be a huge task at all to get geoclue to make use of GPSD.

> However I was able
> to find a seemingly outdated geoclue-gpsd package for Ubuntu
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/utils/geoclue-gpsd) from 2012.
>
> You can see a screenshot of the vastly different results cgps and geoclue
> give me here: http://imgur.com/a/vBu99

Ubuntu still packages and uses the deprecated and unsupported geoclue
implementation so ignore them. :)

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali