[ghns] GHNS Rant

Luke Alan Sandell ls65594 at appstate.edu
Fri Nov 11 16:06:07 PST 2005

On Nov 11, 2005 9:18 am, Josef Spillner eloquently wrote:

> Web-based technology is a dangerous topic. The "mission" statement of
> KStuff.org includes exactly this - to provide people with Free (capital F)
> web-based infrastructure.

It seems like we are talking about two different things here. You want an
entire content distribution system (a free kde-*.org), whereas all I want is
a pretty little button I can click on the already existing kde-look.org to
have my computer automatically download/install something described by an XML
file. It seems to me that the content distribution system, the client, and
the XML format should be as loosley coupled as possible. The distribution
system, after all, will probably just generate the XML, not use it
internally. The XML format itself could be reused in other places, like
kde-look.org (see the one-click scenario described above).

> > Liquid Weather theme for SuperKaramba, but I was not allowed to because
> > it is apparently not "hot" or "new" enough to appear in the GHNS dialog
> Well it should appear in the "new" tab. But - lo and behold - KDE up to 3.4
> did not support a real distinction there, because this was a bug and fixed
> during aKademy this year.

No, actually it _shouldn't_ appear there, and does not, because it is old.
This isn't a bug, it is a design flaw. I am only allowed to view content that
is either a) new b) highest rated or c) most downloaded. Apparently Liquid
Weather is none of these, and therefore I have to fetch it myself.

> Free desktops can excel if people work on them. Granted, your comments (as
> every comment) are welcome, but there's more to it than commenting.

I also realize that everyone cannot work on every project, which is why I am
just giving my input.

-Luke Sandell