[ghns] GHNS Rant

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 14 15:24:47 PST 2005

On Friday 11 November 2005 17:06, Luke Alan Sandell wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2005 9:18 am, Josef Spillner eloquently wrote:
> > Web-based technology is a dangerous topic. The "mission" statement of
> > KStuff.org includes exactly this - to provide people with Free (capital
> > F) web-based infrastructure.
>
> It seems like we are talking about two different things here. You want an

i think you are both discussing the same thing really. GHNS defines the
various mechanisms needed to create such an infrustructure, from the client
side requirements to the XML files that are generated. =)

> > > Liquid Weather theme for SuperKaramba, but I was not allowed to because
> > > it is apparently not "hot" or "new" enough to appear in the GHNS dialog
> >
> > Well it should appear in the "new" tab. But - lo and behold - KDE up to
> > 3.4 did not support a real distinction there, because this was a bug and
> > fixed during aKademy this year.
>
> No, actually it _shouldn't_ appear there, and does not, because it is old.
> This isn't a bug, it is a design flaw. I am only allowed to view content
> that is either a) new b) highest rated or c) most downloaded. Apparently
> Liquid Weather is none of these, and therefore I have to fetch it myself.

and IIRC this limitation was already addressed by the new work being done on
GHNS by turning it into a proper web service.

--
Aaron J. Seigo