[ghns] GHNS Rant

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Nov 14 23:41:52 PST 2005

El Sábado, 12. Noviembre 2005 01:06, Luke Alan Sandell escribió:
> No, actually it _shouldn't_ appear there, and does not, because it is old.
> This isn't a bug, it is a design flaw. I am only allowed to view content
> that is either a) new b) highest rated or c) most downloaded. Apparently
> Liquid Weather is none of these, and therefore I have to fetch it myself.

The version in KDE 3.5 already includes initial support for "generic feeds".
You can augment a providers file with arguments like "downloadurl-latest",
"downloadurl-mostpopular" etc.
From there it is only a small step to have generic "downloadurl:something"
URLs, each with an individual number of entries, and each feed does by itself
describe the name that should appear on the tab. Then, an application might
have an "All Entries" tab. Note that for kde-look.org this will probably
break the internet due to the number of entries :-)

With KNewStuff2, the results are generated on the server. Think about having
the web browsers' find-as-you-type, or even KMail's filter-as-you-type.
However this will only be available for services which run the web service.
As a fallback, or alternative scheme, the above will still be available, but
be less dynamic by design.

> I also realize that everyone cannot work on every project, which is why I
> am just giving my input.

Fair enough :)

I hope that I can get serious spec & knewstuff work done by the next weekend.

Josef