[ghns] Re : about SoC proposal at Blender Foundation on GHNS + questions

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Mon Apr 7 18:03:01 PDT 2008

Good Questions,  I'll answer inline.

On Monday 07 April 2008 10:47:51 am Jonathan-David SCHRODER wrote:
> Hi
>
>  thanks very much for your detailed reply,
> I'll adapt my Blender FOundation proposal with your input
> and then maybe a KDE proposal later tonight.
>
> I've looked at this diagram :
> http://svn.kstuff.org/browser/trunk/kstuff/ghns/architecture-future.png
> I would like to have one more info as to DXS.
> I've noted that DXS is http only which seems ok for me.
> looking at
> http://svn.kstuff.org/browser/trunk/kstuff/ghns/architecture-future.pngmake
>s understanding the desktop
> software / server software break
> down<http://ghns.freedesktop.org/software.php>(with 3 packages)
> clearer.
>
> do you know if
> http://svn.kstuff.org/browser/trunk/kstuff/ghns/architecture-future.png is
> implemented yet ?

Not quite, the server side administration web interface is not implemented yet
I believe.

> is the communication language between client and DXS frontend still SOAP
> and is REST going to replace that, or will both coexist ?
> Is REST implementation just an idea, or a real intent ?

REST is possible, SOAP is the first implementation that is done, REST can be
considered as an alternative at this point but still needs to be implemented.

> do you know if any of the current implementations of ghns clients listed on
> http://ghns.freedesktop.org/software.php (first section) now talk to the
> DXS frontend directly ? Or do they all still have the  current
> architecture<http://svn.kstuff.org/browser/trunk/kstuff/ghns/architecture-c
>urrent.png>(that's to say clients talk to web app to browse through, and to
> another
> specific server fetch and upload contents) ?

KNewStuff2 talks to the DXS interface directly, still could use some testing,
as only a couple DXS server's have been set up.

> I did not take the time to have an in depth look at client local
> database... Do you know if some software client app has implemented
> something (xml or sql dbs) to list reading from the client hard drive
> what's been downloaded where and the version info of those contents ?

KHotNewStuff2 library implements what it calls a registry in xml files in the
user's data folder $KDEHOME/share/apps/knewstuff2-entries.registry/
it just copies the xml from the provider for the installed entries.  Same
could be easily done with sqlite or any other db easily.

> your answers would help me a great deal for the proposal I'll post for the
> Blender Foundation tonight.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan

Sorry, my answers were probably too late to help with your proposal, but
again, we are willing to help and show how knewstuff2 works if you need.

Jeremy (jpwhiting)