[ghns] KDE KGHNS Check

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Fri Nov 20 20:02:19 PST 2009

On Sunday 08 November 2009 10:07:22 pm Roger Pixley wrote:
> Just decided to run through and look at places GHNS is used in KDE 4.3.2
>  and see what the state is.
>
> LEGEND:
> WORKS:- works as intended with Things installing properly
> FAIL:- Does not load up a list to select from
> NO INSTALL:- The file downloads and says that it installs but cannot be
>  used Doesn't Exist :-( :- Places that I thought would or should have a
>  GHNS button but none exists
>
> System Settings:
>
> Appearance: Color -> Scheme. WORKS
> Appearance: Icons -> Theme. NO INSTALL
> Appearance: Splash Screen. NO INSTALL
> Appearance: Emoticons. WORKS
>
> Desktop: Screen saver. Doesn't Exist :-(
>
> Keyboard and Mouse: Mouse -> Theme. Doesn't Exist :-(
>
> Desktop Theme Details: WORKS (also allows updates!)
>
> Login Manager: Theme WORKS (Some themes don't)
>
> KDiamond:
>
> Configure Theme: WORKS
>
> Kmail:
>
> Configure Composer -> Custom Templates: Doesn't Exist :-(
>
> Kopete:
>
> Configure Chat Window -> Styles: WORKS
>
> Configure Chat Windows -> Emoticons: WORKS
>
> Configure Plugins: Doesn't exist :(
>
> Amarok:
>
> Cover Manager: Fetch Missing Covers feels like a GHNS button
>
> Script Manager: WORKS
>
> Configure Internet Services: Doesn't Exist :-(
>

> Notes
> The Icons Theme installed one after I waited a very long time for it to
>  kick in.
> Login manager I think just has a lot of Oled thems in the list
> Amarok is the only spot where you must restart the App for the download to
> be tested/viewed. Perhaps that model can change?
> I got a prompt to update for one of the Themes I had previously downoaded.
> Perhaps those events can be moved to the top of the list?
> Can't wait to test the new things in KDE 4.4 Does it support the
>  Application filtering by the Application version ?

no, there's no support for filtering by app version.  No thought has gone into
that that I know of, though Marble and at least one other app have asked for
it (I can't remember which other one).

KDE 4.4 knewstuff just today got merged into kdelibs from the working branch I
started and frederik so graciously completed.  There are still bugs to fix but
it's very much more usable.  He also added a "installed" entry in the
combobox, so you can see all installed items and check for updates/uninstall
easily.

I hit the qt bug that makes kdelibs not build on 2 machines here today (I
chose the wrong day to update qt I guess) Anyway, once I downgrade my qt
checkout or whatever it takes to get stuff building again, I'll be testing kns3
as much as possible this weekend.

Jeremy