[ghns] 9/26 Meeting summary

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Fri Oct 2 10:01:21 PDT 2009

On Friday 02 October 2009 7:28:44 am Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On 02.10.2009, at 13:04, Josef Spillner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2009 05:19:34 schrieb Jeremy Whiting:
> >> We talked about download, upload, and integrating knewstuff with open
> >> desktop services by wrapping it around libattica.  We also
> >> discussed the
> >> plan I put together here: http://techbase.kde.org/KNewStuff2Plan
> >
> > I suggest moving this page into the existing KNewStuff2 namespace so
> > that we
> > have less top-level pages on techbase.
> >
> >> In
> >> discussing download we decided the user doesn't care about where
> >> the data
> >> is coming from, but just that it's coming =)  So we'll remove the
> >> Provider
> >> combobox from the download dialog and merge all the available
> >> provider's
> >> data into one view for each feed.  We also talked about how the
> >> search is
> >> not very useful as it is just a filter of the local view now.  It
> >> would/will be much better as a server-side search feature.
> >
> > IIRC the search was intended to work on a potentially complete cache
> > of all
> > metadata. Of course in hindsight this was a very na¨ıve strategy
> > given that
> > with large providers it is neither feasible nor desirable to assume
> > a complete
> > cache. A hybrid local/remote search may be much better. Even kmail's
> > search is
> > still very bad from a (personal) usability point of view, and I
> > think there
> > are several similarities on how one would expect a KNS search to work.
> >
> >> Long story short I agreed to work on knewstuff to get it into shape
> >> and
> >> ready for the upcoming functionality.
> >
> > Great!
> >
> >> Anyway, I'd really like to have another meeting this coming saturday
> >> morning if those that were there last time can make it.  I'd
> >> especially
> >> like to hear Josef's input if you can make it Josef.  Plan on the
> >> same time
> >> as last week? Anyone/everyone else is of course more than welcome
> >> to come
> >> share ideas, comments, suggestions, review what we are discussing,
> >> whatever
> >> =)
> >
> > Does this mean tomorrow at 14:00 CET? I'll try to be on IRC all day
> > long if
> > that helps.
>
> I will be there at 14:00 CET

Yes, I'll be there at that time also.

> > It might also be a good idea to involve some application people who
> > use the
> > library to see if they have additional requests.

Yes, I've asked Aaron to be there, as plasma uses it very much.  Fregl uses it
in Parley, I use it in kanagram and the colors kcm and the wallpaper config in
plasma.  Anne-marie was there last week, and uses it in khangman, not sure if
she'll be there this week again or not, I'll check.  Anyway, we should have a
good representation I think.

Jeremy