[ghns] GHNS packages

Stephen scgmk5 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 16:48:05 PDT 2009

I am looking at implementing GHNS in gimp, I will just copy from the
GIMP mailing list as Alexia has stated our problem clearly, there are
some other constraints, which I will list afterwards.

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 18:54 +0300, Alexia Death wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Stephen <scgmk5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > -anything you would like to discuss.
>
> for me, as both distributor(FX foundry) and a user resource
> distribution means mostly a simple way to package and deploy
> resources. For example, currently there are some scripts I wont
> distribute with foundry because they have dependencies in shape of say
> patterns and it would make installing the whole package very
> difficult.
>
> multi-resource packs should be installable by just dragging the pack
> on gimp ui. It should also offer ways to uninstall and package them,
> and provide means for mass taging/untaging and distributing tags.

We need to identify ghnsdownloads in groups after they are installed, so
un-installs can work the same way, I assume using a checksum would be a
good identifier.

such as ./gimp-2.8/patterns/da0b21c73078882a59430ce68e8860b9/....

I proposed to use
<stuff type="da0b21c73078882a59430ce68e8860b9/gimp/pattern/2.8.3">
on the gimp mailing list, and I now don't think this is appropriate (as
it probably breaks the spec) maybe this is what the <options /> was
meant for.

Has anyone created a system for creating GHNS packages, that could be
downloaded as a tar.gz or the like, if so what advice can you provide on
implementing GHNS packages?