gstsurfaceflinger on Xoom?

Mark Howell mark-sub1 at hypgnosys.org
Thu Dec 8 11:19:34 PST 2011

Hello gstreamer-android folks. Thanks all for the effort to port and
package gst to android. I am looking into using gst (with which I am
quite familiar in other linux environments) with one of the main
motivations being to get low latency live video streaming.

I have managed to get the current git gstreamer_ndk_bundle to build
using ndk-r6b and have verified with gst-inspect et al that a bunch of
gst elements live and work on my Xoom (Honeycomb, 3.2.1). I can source
an RTSP video stream but there is no way to display it, as
gstsurfaceflinger isn't built when NDK_BUILD=1.

I've been trying to get gstsurfaceflinger to build anyway (by editing
gstreamer_ndk_bundle/gst-android/Android.mk) and it complains that it
can't find headers like ISurface.h, even though that header is present
in gstreamer_ndk_bundle/android_headers/surfaceflinger.

Backing up a step, is it going to be possible to get gstsurfaceflinger
to build for Honeycomb using NDK (and not a full android system build,
for which AOSP-ers have no source tree)?

Is it going to be possible to install and use it via APK? Or does this
need to be in a system build to replace/supersede stagefright under the
existing Android java apis for media etc?

Cheers,

Mark.