gstsurfaceflinger on Xoom?

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Dec 14 06:21:51 PST 2011

On 12/08/2011 08:19 PM, Mark Howell wrote:
> Hello gstreamer-android folks. Thanks all for the effort to port and
> package gst to android. I am looking into using gst (with which I am
> quite familiar in other linux environments) with one of the main
> motivations being to get low latency live video streaming.
>
> I have managed to get the current git gstreamer_ndk_bundle to build
> using ndk-r6b and have verified with gst-inspect et al that a bunch of
> gst elements live and work on my Xoom (Honeycomb, 3.2.1). I can source
> an RTSP video stream but there is no way to display it, as
> gstsurfaceflinger isn't built when NDK_BUILD=1.
>
> I've been trying to get gstsurfaceflinger to build anyway (by editing
> gstreamer_ndk_bundle/gst-android/Android.mk) and it complains that it
> can't find headers like ISurface.h, even though that header is present
> in gstreamer_ndk_bundle/android_headers/surfaceflinger.

I got it to build for gingerbread. For honeycomb the api changed and we
haven't done the change to make it work with that. The reason for it is
that we also haven't found a way to use surfaceflinger from the ndk. It
requires a permission in the manifest that you can't get. That is
presumably because the api is not stable.

One thing to try would be to get gst-plugins-gl to work on android. But
I did not had time to look into it.

Stefan