how to obtain full screen hdmi output?

Mike puffy.taco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 07:29:33 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Sebastian Dröge
<slomo at circular-chaos.org>wrote:

> On Fr, 2013-06-14 at 14:27 -0500, Mike wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > Is it possible to obtain full screen (high-def) hdmi output like
> > VideoView using the android gstreamer video sink with Jelly Bean 4.1?
> >  I'm using a samsung galaxy tab2.
> >

> > It looks like VideoView is fairly magical under the hood, as I've yet
> > to find anything (c or java) that even explains what it's doing.
>
> You'll have to create a fullscreen EGL window and pass that to the
> GStreamer video sink. I don't know how that is possible with the Android
> API though, it is probably just a matter of creating a fullscreen
> activity and placing a single VideoView in there.

That would be my strategy if I was running Android 4.2 (where there is a
framework to control content on multiple displays rather than just one).  I
was curious if anyone had cracked how
VideoView/stagefright/nuplayer/mediaplayerservice decide to put a video
full-resolution on HDMI (without the other views/controls).  It might not
be possible at the application level, but I'm still looking to find an
answer either way.