Hardware acceleration

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Thu May 23 10:36:01 PDT 2013

On Do, 2013-05-23 at 19:21 +0200, Julien Moutte wrote:

> So do you think that all applications (media players) claiming
> hardware acceleration on Android < 4.1 are using that private API ?

Yes, or they directly use the public, simple playback API that Android
provides (which indeed would be rather uninteresting for us).

> If that's the case maybe we could have a plugin doing the same if
> someone feels like doing it ?

Yes, it will just be not very trivial because it's a C++ API which makes
using dlopen() and friends a bit difficult... and directly linking to it
is rather risky because the ABI (and even API) might change in
incompatible ways between devices and Android versions.