gstreamer on Android not working

Stuart Marshall stuart at seelye.net
Wed Mar 30 15:34:40 UTC 2016

After writing this email I started doubting if what I said was actually correct.
I've seen plugins be picking about how they can access hardware. For example, cameras may have limited sets of resolutions and framerates. If I specify one that it doesn't support then the plugin doesn't work. But I don't know if these constraints actually show up in the output from gst-inspect.

Another situation I ran into was trying to figure out the capabilities of ahcsrc (android hardware camera). My Linux gstreamer install doesn't have ahcsrc, so I can't query with gst-inspect that way. And I'm not sure if I even could do so if I had the right gstreamer version on my Linux box - will the androidmedia code even run?

So I browsed the ahcsrc code to see what it likes for parameters and what pads it supports. There's probably a better way to do this, but it worked.