GStreamer 1.16 error

Andrew Esh andrew.esh at qterics.com
Mon Apr 27 15:56:18 UTC 2020

I ported a large Native library that uses GStreamer to version 1.16 last
summer. For internal development reasons, I tried doing the port to a
number of different API levels, with the goal being to get it to build/run
on 29 (Android Q). I got the port working on many releases of the NDK up to
20. I remember that there was one NDK/API combination that was not working.
It was in the NDK 18-19/API 27-28 range. I'm sorry I don't have specifics.
It was a while ago.

I do know that I got GStreamer 1.16/NDK-20/API 29 working. It took adding
some tool path modifications to cerbero/config/android.config for all
architectures except armv7. These were needed due to NDK-20 having renamed
many of the tools to have the architecture triplet prepended. The NDKs
prior to r20 do not need that.

My advice is: Upgrade to NDK r20. The further back one goes in NDK
revisions, the less support there is for later Android OS releases. The
NDKs are meant to provide backward compatibility. The default choice should
always be to move forward.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 9:50 AM Jesper Elgh <jesel704 at student.liu.se> wrote:

> Hey!
> I have been trying to upgrade GStreamer to version 1.16 from 1.14 in my
> android application but have encountered some problems. Version 1.16
> requires, according to gstreamer's website, Android NDK r18b. When I try to
> run GStreamer 1.16 with NDK r18b I get an error in android studio:
>
> "expected ndk stl shared object file at
> /home/exjobb/Documents/android-ndk-r18-b-linux-x86_64/android-ndk-r18b/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.9/libs/armeabi-v7a
> /libgnustl_shared.so ".
>
> The cxx-stl folder is not on my computer, nor are the folders / files that
> come after.
>
> I have googled and it seems that a general recommendation is to downgrade
> to r17c. I can't do that if GStreamer 1.16 requires r18b.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Sincerely
> Jesper

Andrew Esh