[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] gstreamer omegahacker

Erik Walthinsen omega at cse.ogi.edu
Sun Feb 13 06:20:41 CET 2000

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Wim Taymans wrote:

> I still see some SEGFAULTs on some streams, I'll try to fix this tomorrow and
> I'll be thinking about a video sink... And an MMX iDCT for the MPEG decoder,
> and...
...getting some kind of display element...

> Some wild idea: when the plugins create a buffer they just do
> gst_buffer_new or something, which is in plain memory that might not be
> ideal for the next element in the stream (for example, the mpeg decoder writes
> to plain memory instead of shared memory for the X server). I don't know if
> this can be done but what about the element requesting a buffer from the next
> element in the stream. A display element can then pass a buffer in DMA-able or
> AGP memory for example.
Good thing you're working on this project, we think alike.  This has been
in the plans for quite a while, I just haven't gotten around do it.  Until
now I only had the audio case to worry about, not I have video as well.
Since I haven't given it any thought, and ideas you have as to the
mechansim would be appreciated.  The only things I can say for sure is
that it has to be through the pad interface, and it has to be optional
(obviously).

         Erik Walthinsen <omega at cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user