[gst-devel] CVS problems + quick TODO

Erik Walthinsen omega at cse.ogi.edu
Mon Jan 31 00:16:41 CET 2000

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Wim Taymans wrote:

> I can check out the CVS source as anonymous but not with my
> dev userid. This is what I get:
> Sorry, you don't have read/write access to the history file
Hmm.  I'll check with the sourceforge people about this, since no one has
shell access to the CVS box except them.  They really should have some
basic filemanager web interface for CVS admins, eventually.

> - autoconf: detect mmx.h, detect xaudio. I downloaded libmmx-990416 but the
>     build still fails. What version of libmmx does one need?
mmx.h has to be be in a global include directory.  I suppose we could just
check it into gstreamer, since it hasn't changed in a while and can be
upgraded easily.  Besides, I've got some fixes I want to make, once I
figure out how (the mm_support routine gets *really* annoying when you try
mmx and sse, or don't compile/link just right).

> - Makefile.am : some .la libs are specified in the wrong place, libtool
>         gives errors. removing them solves the problem.
Which makefile is that?

> - mpg123 does not work here: segfault
Not surprising, I'll be looking at that at some point in the near future.
It's actually the only 'task' I've bothered to put up on SourceForge.  I
don't know how useful that part will be, but it might be a good idea for
everyone doing code to at least give it a try, we can see how well it
works.

> - dvdsrc : autoconf detect stuff for css*, or merge decss in CVS if
> legal. I'm in Belgium, would it be legal for me to make a package of
> dvdsrc?
Well, the comment on LiViD was "that's a loaded question, since decss
isn't *illegal* anyway."  The issue is one of liability on SourceForge's
part, since they're located in the US.  I'm being very careful about what
I do because I'd be Mr. Defendant if the CCA decided they didn't want me
putting out a full player.  I should probably talk to the SourceForge
people about what they'd prefer.  It may be that you or someone else might
have to build dvdsrc as a separate package entirely, and put it up for FTP
on some non-US site, at least until the CCA is properly beaten bloody by
the EFF.

         Erik Walthinsen <omega at cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user