[gst-devel] Module/App Wishlist...

Myers W. Carpenter myers at fil.org
Tue Jul 11 19:22:50 CEST 2000

	I've been thinking of a list of modules I'd like to see in gstreamer.
I realize that y'all have probably thought of most of these yourselves,
but I thought perhaps we might want to come up with a TODO list

Sources/Sinks:

	sdl-video and others:  the livid project has a whole bunch of video
output plugins that take advantage of diffrent video cards abilities to
	rtp:  This one is the most intresting to me, and will let you do
multicasting with gstreamer.   With this we could rewrite
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~htran/projects/mim/ as an all in one app...
(then I all I'd have to do is talk my ISP into enabling multicast :().
MIM has (I think) all the code for this (GPL, maybe I can get them to
let the code go as LGPL).  If not there is a librtp under the gpl some
where.

Encoders:

	FAME - Fast Assembly Mpeg Encoder:  This is a pretty new project.  So
far the guy has I-frame only encoding mostly in asm.  He mentions in the
docs that he wants to do other capture interfaces than what he has now
(v4l).
http://www-eleves.enst-bretagne.fr/~chappeli/fame/

Decoders:

	Hardware mpeg1/2 decoding:  There are a few projects out there writing
device drivers for diffrent decoder boards.
http://hem.fyristorg.com/henrikj/em8300/ - DXR3 / Hollywood Plus cards.

Other codecs:
	Windoze "Only" codecs:  Well someone had the same idea I had about
reusing
.DLL's under linux and actually kicked out some code
http://divx.euro.ru/.  If would be neat to see if this same trick can be
done for quicktime

	Vorbis:  http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/ A patent free audio codec
that's as good or better than mpeg1 layer3.  Code under the LGPL.
--
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.