[gst-devel] More problems building...

Erik Walthinsen omega at cse.ogi.edu
Thu May 11 00:41:32 CEST 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Myers W. Carpenter wrote:

> 	After adding that line that Erik sent (shouldn't all read_tsc be
> replaced with gst_trace_read_tsc? and should we add #ifdef's for this
> diffrent code?  And why is this in ASM anyway?  I don't know enought to
> tell what it is doing) and fixing refrences to it everything worked.
> But what needs to be done so that it works right out of CVS?
It's in asm because there is no C equivalent.  It's getting the hardware
cycle counter since boot time.  Eventually we need to get a set of these
for various architectures that have cycle counters.

> 	The next failure was with docs/gst/gstreamer.types
That most likely is just plain broken, but it's not that high of a
priority.  Make sure you've got the latest gtkdoc installed, see if it
keeps doing it.

> 	gsteditor crashes on me right after I click on the canvas for the first
> time. It quits with this error:
The editor is also quite crufty.  It needs a complete rewrite to work at
all, let alone with the current libgst.

> 	I can't figure out how to tell gdb where the source for
> libgsteditor.so.0 is so I can get a line number.  Any hints?
Run ./autogen.sh with --enable-debug (if it doesn't already do that), it
should work fine.  If not, I'd suggest attempting to upgrade your tools.
You seem to have a relatively old set of tools.  You'll want the latest
egcs, gdb, and libtool (1.3b or better), as well as the latest stable glib
and gtk, libxml, gtkdoc, etc.  There are just too many things that can't
be done at all with the older sets of tools and libraries, there's no way
to be backwards compatible.

         Erik Walthinsen <omega at cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user