[gst-devel] More problems building...

Myers W. Carpenter myers at fil.org
Thu May 11 01:45:33 CEST 2000

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Myers W. Carpenter wrote:
>
> >       After adding that line that Erik sent (shouldn't all read_tsc be
> > replaced with gst_trace_read_tsc? and should we add #ifdef's for this
> > diffrent code?  And why is this in ASM anyway?  I don't know enought to
> > tell what it is doing) and fixing refrences to it everything worked.
> > But what needs to be done so that it works right out of CVS?
> It's in asm because there is no C equivalent.  It's getting the hardware
> cycle counter since boot time.  Eventually we need to get a set of these
> for various architectures that have cycle counters.

	Does the code that you sent me work in egcs?  See further down about
egcs...

> >       The next failure was with docs/gst/gstreamer.types
> That most likely is just plain broken, but it's not that high of a
> priority.  Make sure you've got the latest gtkdoc installed, see if it
> keeps doing it.

	It worked fine after I did a "make distclean; make" in the project
root.  Easy fix is just to stop in the configure script unless we can
find the files for libghttp.

> >       gsteditor crashes on me right after I click on the canvas for the first
> > time. It quits with this error:
> The editor is also quite crufty.  It needs a complete rewrite to work at
> all, let alone with the current libgst.

	Now that would explain it :).

> >       I can't figure out how to tell gdb where the source for
> > libgsteditor.so.0 is so I can get a line number.  Any hints?
> Run ./autogen.sh with --enable-debug (if it doesn't already do that), it
> should work fine.  If not, I'd suggest attempting to upgrade your tools.
> You seem to have a relatively old set of tools.  You'll want the latest
> egcs, gdb, and libtool (1.3b or better), as well as the latest stable glib
> and gtk, libxml, gtkdoc, etc.  There are just too many things that can't
> be done at all with the older sets of tools and libraries, there's no way
> to be backwards compatible.

	Understood.  Should configure be picking out what's good and what's
not? If you don't have time I could update it.
	I was trying to figure out what the diffrence between egcs and gcc
where.  As near as I can figure egcs became gcc version 2.95 and
higher.  Is that right?  That would mean I have a newer version.  I got
this from the gcc homepage and the egcs freshmeat entry.
	I did a check on my other software:

numbers:~$ gtk-config --version
1.2.7
numbers:~$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.3.4 (1.385.2.196 1999/12/07 21:47:57)
(latest is 1.3.4 as near as I can figure From fm.net:
     - Libtool 1.3.4 - by Gary V. Vaughan <gary at oranda.demon.co.uk>
on
                       December 09th 1999, 07:02
     - Libtool 1.3b - by Thomas Tanner <tanner at ffii.org> on
                       July 07th 1999, 09:45
)
numbers:~$ gdb --version
GNU gdb 19990928
(newest is in CVS, so even if it was 19990929 this is old :)
numbers:~$ xml-config --version
1.8.7
(newest is 2.0.0)
numbers:~$ dpkg -l gtk-doc-tools

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)||/ Name           Version        Description
ri  gtk-doc-tools  0.3-1          GTK documentation tools

	Hope this helps...
			myers

--
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.