[gst-devel] question : is it necessary

Tim 'Tool-Man' Taylor tim at tool-man.org
Sat Apr 14 18:56:33 CEST 2001

Dennis Smit wrote:

> Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>

>> to run gstreamer under x-windows ?
>> Is there a way to have it run command-line text-mode only ?
>

>> I can't get it to work, the Gtk tries to connect to a display.
>

> It is not at the moment however will be in the near future... this is because
> of using GtkObject and gtk needs X
> however when glib2.0 is released we can use Gobject which won't need X and
> allows you to make an svgalib sink and throw away X
> for mediaplaying >:)

Or omit a video sink altogether, say, for making a music only player.

My advice is to develop under X for now, sure in the knowledge that "one
day" gstreamer won't have a dependency on X via a dependency on Gtk.
That's what I'm doing.  You could always contribute to Glib 2.0
development if you'd like "one day" to be sooner rather than later ;-)

Keep in mind that Ridge Run is bankrolling a large portion of gstreamer
development and their application is for embedded devices, so you can be
fairly confident that unecessary dependencies will go away...eventually.

--
Tim Taylor
tim at tool-man.org