[gst-devel] Possible collaboration with Overflow

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Apr 19 18:52:48 CEST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> I'm one of the main developers of the Overflow project
> (http://freespeech.sourceforge.net/overflow.html). I think there are
> similarities between GStreamer and Overflow and I thought there could be some
> collaboration between the two projects.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you earlier, I was in Europe for a couple
weeks, including giving a talk at GUADEC (where most of the GStreamer
developers finally met in person for the first time).

I'm compiling Overflow right now, and like what I see.  It sounds like the
perfect tool to work on one of my other pet projects, which is codec
development (new code, not new implementations), among other things.

> Overflow is a visual development environment, like GStreamer. It is
> designed for real-time processing of data (all types of data, but
> audio is more advanced). It is already in a useful state, that is,
> enough for me to write my master project with it (which is speech
> enhancement). Here are the areas where, I think we could collaborate:
>
> * GUI: From what I've seen our GUI have similar functions (connect blocks,
> specify parameters, ...)
At GUADEC I was approached by a guy working on another somewhat related
project (graph of decision processing, that he compiles to C, used for
things like deciding whether to grant a loan or not) that has a *MEGA*
canvas-based graph editting system called Seashore.  He says it'll be out
(LGPL'd) in a month or so, if there is enough interest in collab between
various graph-based projects like GStreamer, Overflow, aRts, etc., I can
probably convince him to release a copy to us earlier, for feedback and
such.

Seashore is based on the AA canvas, and as such has all sorts of neat
interaction stuff such as alpha-fading links and such.  More importantly,
it has massive graph-structuring code, with spline links and all that.