[gst-devel] Better assertions

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Apr 19 19:29:49 CEST 2001

I keep running into cases where I get several CRITICAL errors telling me
that peer != NULL, or somesuch.  What I really want are assertion macros
that are aware of the GStreamer world.  That means something like:

gst_return_if_null(pad,peer);

If peer is NULL, it might print:

** CRITICAL **: file gstpad.c: line 1304 (gst_pad_push): \
assertion peer != NULL failed, in pad "mpeg2parse:video_00"

That's a lot more useful than just peer != NULL.  There are only a few of
these macros we need, and actually the code to print out the parent object
already exists, regardless of what that object is (as long as *it* isn't
NULL...).

Thoughts?

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __