[gst-devel] What projects are underway?

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Apr 19 20:43:49 CEST 2001

Hi,

On 19 Apr 2001 12:16:55 -0400, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> Ronald Bultje wrote:

<snip>

> > Since one good editor is much better than 10 editors that can each only
> > handle one bit of what it should handle. And since I don't like broadcast
> > (working together with that developer there seems to be impossible/out of
> > the question), we could make a good Gtk-based alternative here.
> > I'm not directly thinking of something like Adobe Premiere here, but with
> > gstreamer we should be able to handle a lot of formats, record from lots of
> > formats and edit mixed combinations of all different movies.
>
> Gstreamer will also allow the creation of more editing UIs for different
> users and formats as described above. Perhaps, there will eventually be
> integration into GIMPor 3D programs for rotoscoping too. Therefore, we
> should also be considering a set of core Bonobo components, GTK widgets,
> and whatever else that falls outside of gstreamer that an editor my require.

If you're to do a NLE, please do not use _only_ GTK+. Please use the
GNOME libraries (meaning the gnome-libs for the UI, and as Dan
suggested, the amazing Bonobo).
Nobody would think of doing a Qt-only application, one does a KDE
application. You will save a lot of time using the already existing
libraries, rather than reinventing the wheel for every special widget.

I'm eager to see this project starting. Good luck to you.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net