[gst-devel] bufferpools, filter templates

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Sun Aug 19 00:40:34 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I've been moving to try and use interleaved float data for my app.  I'd
> like to update passthrough (the example plugin designed to be used with
> filterstamp) to allow float data as well as int. Any objections
> (thomas?)?

No, of course not ! The more data it can handle, the better.

> I've also been looking into bufferpools.  I'd like for passthrough to
> use bufferpools so that it is easier for someone new to gst to create an
> efficient filter.

The reason I did passthrough the way it is now (inefficient by copying the
data again) is for a new plugin writer to be able to see what he needs to
change and quickly implement a new filter, which in the general case could
have a different output sample rate than input.  In many cases, indeed, a
filter might do an in-place edit, so I follow you on the distinction
there.

> well I don't know what I would call the second case. 'modify' perhaps.
> These plugins would not do anything to the data, and would just be
> useful to filterstamp.

I'm hoping to replace filterstamp by something a bit more general,
building a plugin from a template (on which wtay can tack a wizard ;) ),
but as all of you that depends on the free time I have to waste.

Thomas

I work all day and I won't fight
when it feels right then it's wrong
now the fireworks in me are all gone