[gst-devel] Fast Forward policy making

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu Dec 20 03:45:08 CET 2001

Hey omega,

I was planning to work on gst-editor since that seems settled for the
most, but I had some questions for you to decide on before I can :

> gst-core/
> 	gst/
> 		libgst.so
> 		{headers}
> 		autoplug/
> 			...so
> 			{headers}
> 		schedulers/
> 			...so
> 			{headers}
> 	libs/
> 		gst/
> 			launch/
> 				libgstlaunch.so
> 				gstlaunch.h
> 			bytestream/
> 				libbytestream.so
> 				gstbs.h
> 			bitstream/ [?]

Where does the actual source code go for the libs in this case ?
Also, is it useful to heave the headers in separate subdirs ? Won't that
end up with each gstreamer header in it's separate header dir in
prefix/gst ? Should we also take this opportunity to rename either gstbs.h
to gstbytestream.h or bytstream.h ?

> gst-player/
> 	libgstplay/
> 		libgstplay.so
> 		{headers}

Just to keep it in sync with the core, I'd change libgstplay to
libs/gstplay, unless I read the core wrong.
If we call the main gst header and dir gst/gst.h, it should be
gstplay/gstplay.h for the player.  Also, here again, is there a good
reason to put it
in gstplay/ and not in gst/ ? I'm just not sure atm what headers are going
to end up in gst/ .  If it's only one, then the use for the separate dir
is limited.  So I just wanted to bring it up since I know you have more
experience with this sort of thing.

> gst-editor/
> 	libgsteditor/
> 		libgsteditor.so
> 		{headers}
> 	src/
> 		gst-editor
> 		gst-guilaunch

Same thing here.

I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused this week and I hope we can get
everything sorted out by the weekend.

Thomas

and it's moving so fast
slow down honey