[gst-devel] Fast Forward policy making

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu Dec 20 05:04:02 CET 2001

> > in gstplay/ and not in gst/ ? I'm just not sure atm what headers are going
> > to end up in gst/ .  If it's only one, then the use for the separate dir
> > is limited.  So I just wanted to bring it up since I know you have more
> > experience with this sort of thing.
>
> i'm not sure i understand this, but what i seem to understand i don't
> think i like. moving libgstplay from gstplay/src to gstplay/gstplay i
> can handle but you want gstplay/libs/gstplay/ or you want libgstplay
> under gst/?

Hey arik,

well the main thing was discussed on irc.  Omega told me that whatever you
do, you need to have a dir called gst/ with the headers in it if you want
to be able to compile both internally with them as well as externally.
This is because external programs will use #include <gst/gst.h>, and
internal programs should do this too, and this only works if in your
source tree you also have a gst/ dir with gst.h in it.
That seems to make sense to me.

So my idea, which omega liked, was that we put it in libs/gst and for
uninstalled gstreamer/internal compilation you just add the
-L$(top_srcdir)/libs flag, so that it works for everyone.

I was only wondering if this reasoning should be carried over to the
other modules as well, and that's up for you and others to decide because
atm I have no idea if these header files are meant to be installed system
wide.  So I guess that's what I was asking ;)

BTW anyone who feels like taking on this part of the split up, please do
;) I think I'm not familiar enough with all the issues involved here.  I
do want to help if I can though.

Thomas

Smelled you on my hand for days
I can't wash away your scent