[gst-devel] CORBA/bonobo ramblings

Matt Howell matth at ridgerun.com
Fri Feb 2 23:29:51 CET 2001

> CORBA and bonobo ramblings
> ==========================
>
> This is about something I know nothing about, so I want
> your views on the subject :)
>
> statements in this doc might contain plain nonsense and
> utter ignorance about the subject, so feel free to correct
> no matter how many brown paper bags I need to put over my
> head.

no need for bags.  :-)  i have some comments about CORBA and
interface programming, in general.  my understanding of BONOBO
is minimal... i think it's just wrapping GUI widgets and data in
interfaces to more generically/dynamically merge them together
(more similar to OLE than to RPC).

> CORBA
> -----
>
> The object request broker. It basically allows you to declare
> objects using a language called IDL. It has the nice benefit
> of allowing objects to live in other contexts, languages and
> even on other machines over the network.
>
> Wrapping the GStreamer objects in CORBA objects doesn't look
> like a problem. It will immediatly allow us to create objects
> accros the network and use the framework in a distributed
> environment.

the problem is GStreamer's design is currently single-process
(multi-threaded) while CORBA implies cross process (and
machine) boundaries.  we'll have to re-think buffer's, state,
and signalling.  scheduling will also be affected - probably need
to create a scheduling entity (manager object, explicit scheduling
interface).

> You will end up with a lot of corba objects using this method.
> Is this the way to do it? do we only need to CORBA-ify some
> of the core objects instead?

i would recommend only "corbify" thread boundaries (GstThread's).
further, i'd only do that if you have no other option (if you absolutely
need to cross a process/machine boundary) because it's slower and
more complicated.  anyway,  to do that, we'll need to address
scheduling, buffers, state management / signalling.
(QoS / synchronization is a nightmare, btw.)