[gst-devel] GNOME Animation Studio

Ruben ryu at gpul.org
Sat Feb 3 18:18:34 CET 2001

	Hello, I'm the author of GANSO (GNOME Animation StudiO), and I want
to ask if you think that it would be possible to use gstreamer on it because
we are doing several things twice. I've also a plugin system for input and
output codecs, for filters, and other things. And I've also something like a
pipeline. In fact it's a tree where you can have this kind of nodes:

	* file: either an image (png, ppm, etc) or a video (currently only
mpeg-1). They are leafs of the tree.

	* sequential composition: can have sub-nodes that will be played
sequentially, with the posibility of padding before each node.

	* concurrent composition: it's like the layer-system of The GIMP,
but applied to videos. Of course, as in GIMP, it's usefull if you have top
layers with alpha.

	GANSO also have a per-pixel 8 bit alpha channel support, in fact,
the sample filter acts over this channel to decrease or increase it, making
a fade effect. And the alpha channel of PNG files is of course supported.
And also saves the tree to XML files, as gstreamer does.

	I think that if I use gstreamer, I could delete a lot of code from
ganso that is already in these library, and use its codecs, its effects,
etc. And more important, GANSO currently doesn't have support for sound,
while gstreamer seems to have, so I could speed up a lot the development.

	Well, you know the state of gstreamer better than me, so ¿what do
you think? ¿Should I change my code and use gstreamer, or it's better to
wait a bit until it gets more 'stable'? ¿Will I have all the posibilities
that I have now with my tree system?

	If you want to test GANSO, you have the sources here:

	ftp://ftp.gpul.org/gpul/ganso-0.2.0.tar.bz2

	And a ready to install debian package here:

	ftp://ftp.gpul.org/gpul/ganso_0.2.0-1_i386.deb

	The homepage is in http://www.gpul.org/proyectos/ganso, but it's
outdated, I'm waiting the administrator to update to the new version with
links to the 0.2.0 version.

Best regards
--
 __
 )_) \/ / /  email: mailto:ryu at gpul.org
/ \  / (_/   www  : http://pinguino.dyndns.org
[ GGL + GAnSO developer ] & [ GPUL member ]