[gst-devel] Header file restructuring needed

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Wed Feb 14 21:35:55 CET 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 12:01:36PM -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> gstpad.ph
> gstpad.hp
These two are just asking for build tools, like automake, to get confused.
(They shouldn't do, but it's asking for trouble, IMO.)

> gstpad_p.h
> gstpad_private.h

I'd go for gstpad_private.h - there's no good reason to keep the names
shorter, and its always good to be able to actually work out from a name
what the file contains...

> I know they guys at RidgeRun will vote for the .hp extension..., but I'm
> not sure which I prefer, except to say that _private is IMO too long.
> gstelementfactory_private.h.... ick.
Only slightly longer than "gstelementfactory_p.h" - my feeling is that if
you're going to abbreviate in one place, you should be doing it
consistently.  At the very least, I'd vote for *_priv.h, which has less chance
of conflicting with shortened forms of, eg, _pthread, _ppc,
_polyanthropomorphic.  But does conflict with _privileged.h

It's the same thing as never using single letter
variable names...

--
Richard