[gst-devel] Device enumeration problems

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Tue Jan 9 18:01:40 CET 2001

On 09 Jan 2001 01:23:47 -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> Of these two, I prefer the extra state.  It will cause some extra work to
> be done if we want to keep everyone else blissfully ignorant, but is
> localizable into the element_set_state() function.

I'm not quite sure what would be the difference between the PROBE and
the READY state
though. Let's take the example of the audiocard:

PROBE: open the card and set the pad caps
READY: make the audio card ready for playback.. ie open the audio card.
since you're moving
           from PROBE to READY, the READY state is quite useless since
the card is allready opened.

lets look at the thread case: the READY state in the thread would start
the thread, trigger the
READY state for its children and perform the create plan. What is the
thread supposed to do in
the PROBE state then? Well it has to pass the PROBE state change to it's
children in order
for the ghostpads to be set to the right caps. The above example of the
audiocard stated that the
PROBE state could esily be folded with the READY state so the PROBE
state for the thread is
quite useless too.

We do have to make sure, off course, that autoplugging occurs during the
PROBE/READY state
but yet again this is no reason to have an extra state IMHO.

what clear distinction between the PROBE and READY state is there? Or am
I missing something?

Wim