[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Jan 11 22:52:31 CET 2001

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Dennis Smit wrote:

> Hi .. I guess you are the lead hacker on GSTreamer.
Pretty much.  I started the project about a year and a half ago, other
people sorta started working on it for me ;-)

> It really looks cool and stuff .. however doesn't work perfect yet at
> this place :)
Yup.  It's got holes all over the place.  One of the biggest ones, and one
we're actively trying to solve even as I type, is that of EOS
(End-Of-Stream).  Whenever the media runs out, some variation of psychosis
occurs in the pipeline.  We've got some ideas on a solution that we'll be
trying out shortly, and that will definitely prompt a 0.1.1 release.

> Ehm what i wanted to know is how fast we can expect a new version.. how
> fast development is going and what we can expect in new versions..
I would guess that if we solve EOS shortly, we'll have a new release in
between two weeks and a month.  Should have some of the bigger problems
solved, and lots more documentation <g>

> Owjeah and are you guys really working active on it.. or is it going to
> be a death project as most of this kinda projects went.
Nope, we're heavily into this.  That's one of the comments I got when
writing up the release info, was on the phrase 'result of over a year of
development'.  Unlike most projects in this category, we've been working
on it for a really long time, and will keep working on it for a really
long time.  Each of the main developers has a specific set of projects
that are going to be built on top of GStreamer, each of which has a pretty
large set of requirements.  Until GStreamer is ready for most of that,
we're going to be working on it pretty much exclusively.  Once we start
our own projects, we're still going to be maintaining and improving
GStreamer as needed.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_