[gst-devel] /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldb

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Sun Jan 14 13:34:28 CET 2001

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 12:27:04PM +0100, Andras B . wrote:
> I use a Debian Woody system. It says my 'task-helix-core' version
> is '1.1-helix5'.

Thats the same version as I have, then. ;-)  (And it builds for me, so it
shouldn't be too hard to get it working for you...)

idle:~$ gnome-config  --cflags --libs gnomeui
-I/usr/include -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/usr/lib/gnome-libs/include
-I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -rdynamic -L/usr/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnomeui
-lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXi -lXext -lX11
-lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb -lglib -ldl

gnome-config puts -ldb in the link line: libdb is installed on my system by
the libc6-dev package.  Your problem, then, is simply that you don't have
the devel packages installed (which makes sense if you don't usually
compile things).

There may be other devel packages required; if you have problems with
anything else try looking for an appropriate -dev package which might be
needed (and give us a message so we can add it to the REQUIREMENTS file)

What I don't understand is why the configure check failed to detect that
the appropriate things weren't present for building gnomeui things.  I
shall investigate the configure script...

> Since I use Debian, I usually don't compile GNOME programs, but there's
> no gstreamer package.
We'll be making debs as soon as someone with the neccessary knowledge steps
forward to help...  I'll get round to learning eventually, but we would
welcome assistance.

--
Richard