[gst-devel] Re: Fwd: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MAIA status

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Wed Jan 17 07:27:49 CET 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, David Olofson wrote:

> I've not studied GStreamer thorougly yet, but I've browsed their web
> site and looked at some code. On the plugin and inner DSP loop level,
> it basically has the same problems as VST 1.0 and LADSPA; it can't
> efficiently deal with sample accurate events, and from what I've
> seen, it doesn't even have the concept of sub-buffer resolution.

First of all, I'm not very familiar with most pro-audio stuff, I'm
learning as fast as I can, but I'm focusing on live audio for the most
part.  But in order for GStreamer to not suck at some things, it seems I
need to dig into this stuff a bit more.

Can you explain what you mean by the phrases 'sample accurate events' and
'sub-buffer resolution'?  I have a feeling the former is not within the
scope of gstreamer, and the latter concept can be mapped onto bits of
GStreamer, but is also not quite within the scope.  I.e. both problems are
left up to higher layers of code which are not yet written (but are
planned).

(BTW, I have a wrapper for LADSPA plugins in there, it just doesn't work
quite yet: higher priorities prevail).

TIA,
   Omega

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator