[gst-devel] quicktime plugin

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Wed Jan 17 16:57:39 CET 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 07:39:39AM -0800, yann.bieber at 3ivx.com wrote:
> Is there a project to create a quicktime gstreamer plugin ? If not, I
> could be interested to create one based on the "Quicktime For Linux"
> library ...

I don't believe we have a quicktime project yet.

> For the moment, I don't really understand your plugin mechanism. Would it
> be a simple parser which could read/write QT files and send chunks into
> the appropriate codec, or would this quicktime plugin decode or encode
> itself data and send the results to a display plugin or a file writer
> plugin ?

The whole gstreamer setup is based around elements: a plugin simply
provides some new elements for the gstreamer framework to use when dealing
with a file.  What you would produce is a plugin (ie, dynamically loadable
library with appropriate interface), which provides an element or elements
to convert data in quicktime format into raw format, and back again.

It would be something which reads a stream of data from another element
processes it and passes it on to the next element.  It shouldn't directly
read or write to disk or devices: we have other plugins to do that, so that
when a new file source comes along, only one new thing needs to be added.

This isn't clearly documented yet - I'm working on the Plugin Writers
Guide, but keep getting distracted by work, birthday parties, etc...

--
Richard