[gst-devel] rpm build problems

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Mon Jun 4 21:35:33 CEST 2001

* Richard Boulton <richard at tartarus.org> [20010604 14:17]:

> The whole situation with CFLAGS and things is very messy.
> In fact, Makefiles should never touch CFLAGS: they should instead set
> AM_CFLAGS which is used alongside CFLAGS.  configure.{in,ac} should
> also not set CFLAGS (though it may alter them temporarily while doing
> tests: it should set them back afterwards)

> Any comments on the above suggested policy?

Sounds good. ;)

To whoever works on this, it would be (maybe) a nice idea to be able to
have global optimization flags like -march= and -Ox set in one place.
Maybe a GST_OPTIMIZATION var?  And also would be nice if it were more
obvious where -Werror could be defined so we can clean up some of the
code.

One thing I've noticed, especially in tests/ and gsteditor/ is that
compile and link flags are totally nuts.  flags and libs are repeated
many times.. in some cases many many many times.  The end result output
is the same but in some basic tests I got some of the tests/ bins to
link in half the time (ie, 6s downto 3s) just by taking out repeated
-lfoo references.  I can't tell where this problems is coming though. :(
In any case, for those of us with non-GHz computers I think the total
build time could be reduced by a couple minutes by fixing this.

-dave
--
David I. Lehn <dlehn at vt.edu>  | http://www.lehn.org/~dlehn/
Computer Engineering Graduate @ Virginia Tech in sunny Blacksburg, VA