[gst-devel] rpm build problems

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Tue Jun 5 00:27:26 CEST 2001

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:35:33PM -0400, David I. Lehn wrote:
> One thing I've noticed, especially in tests/ and gsteditor/ is that
> compile and link flags are totally nuts.  flags and libs are repeated
> many times.. in some cases many many many times.  The end result output
> is the same but in some basic tests I got some of the tests/ bins to
> link in half the time (ie, 6s downto 3s) just by taking out repeated
> -lfoo references.  I can't tell where this problems is coming though. :(
> In any case, for those of us with non-GHz computers I think the total
> build time could be reduced by a couple minutes by fixing this.

That is probably a libtool thing: libtool dependencies get carried away
sometimes.   In one project I worked on, with many subdirs and convenience
libraries, we had a link line with about 20 -lpthread's.  I believe its
fixed in recent (maybe only CVS) libtools.

I'm surprised it makes such a difference to the time though: I'd have
thought it would remove duplicates.

--
Richard