[gst-devel] Report from PLUG talk

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Fri Jun 8 09:16:13 CEST 2001

After some serious initial issues with the projector (first we didn't have
one, then it wouldn't work on my laptop) and transfering my slides to
someone else's laptop (Crispin Cowan from WireX) to display, I finally got
around to giving my talk.  It went pretty well, for same-day-slides...

In the Q&A session someone asked if they could use it to convert their
mp3s to vorbis files.  I said "sure" and grabbed an xterm on the laptop.
I typed:

./gstreamer-launch disksrc=music.mp3 ! mad ! vorbidenc ! \
disksink location=music.ogg

The response: "Whoah!", a la Neo. ;-)

After the meeting, everyone goes to the "Lucky Lab[rador]" pub for the
"real work", and there I managed to get a few more similar responses, by
hacking gstplay to use aasink driver=3 instead of xvideosink (a 15sec
hack).  From that I showed them the bullet.vob clip with a huge xterm
showing the video.  That certainly made a point <g>

I've got video, which probably won't turn out at all except when I
'willingly' stuck my head in front of the project to point at something.
The audio will be more interesting, if I can capture it separately (more
work on dvdec...).

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_