[gst-devel] Patch to make ALSA-src/sink factory-less

Thomas Nyberg thomas at codefactory.se
Fri Jun 8 10:09:10 CEST 2001

Hi,
after some serious school-work with assignments, exams and other
as horrible things - I finnally managed to free up the time I
needed to make this "hack".

As discussed on the gstreamer-devel-list multiple factories sucks,
and therefor I've removed them now. Instead, it is now possible to
instantiate the object more than one time. Each time, a new card
is selected automaticly from the list of cards detected at
plugin-init-time. Someone didn't want any interaction between the
plugin and the hardware at all until the object was instantiated,
but since I'm lazy this will have to do for now ;)

I'm working on the ALSA 0.9.x-patch, and have managed to extract
some info, most of the trivial functions I've understood, but there
are a few calls with structs which I haven't got yet - but don't
worry, work is underway and I hope this should be fixed as soon
as possible ;)

It would be possible to do the probing when the alsasink-object
is instantiated at the first time, then finding out about other
cards, devices and so on... Now this probing is done in plugin_init.
This would then be implemented when I add support for ALSA 0.9.x,
any comments about this?

I haven't tested the modified alsasrc, but it compiles and looks like
the alsasink so I hope. Also, haven't tested the ability to change
the card after instantiation. Since 0.2.0 is out, and I'm going to
get the 0.9.x-stuff in anyway, I'll do the more serous testing then.

/Thomas <thomas at codefactory.se>

Thomas Nyberg                    thomas.nyberg at codefactory.se
CodeFactory AB                   http://www.codefactory.se/
Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 10       Cell: +46 (0)70 335 61 64