[gst-devel] mjpegtools plugins for gstreamer

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sun Jun 10 14:09:44 CEST 2001

Hi Yann,

>> JPEG-videos I've seen). Our quicktime JPEG-support is based on
>> Adam's QT-lib, we could modify that to use the 3ivx one you guys
>> use. But does this sound like a good idea or would you rather see
>> one plugin for movtar, one for JPEG-AVI (unless you prefer the one
>> you already have) and then we'd probably drop quicktime because
>> 3ivx' codec does that already?
>
>Sorry, I don't understand everything here ... But as far as I know
>avi, quicktime, and movtar are simply some kind of muxer, and so
>independant from any codecs ...

Yes, I know, I specifically mean that JPEG-codecs, which can be used for
Quicktime (M)JPEG, AVI (M)JPEG and movtar which only can do JPEG anyway :-).
But as far as I know the AVI demuxer doesn't work very well (last time I
tested it the results were ugly) and there's no movtar demuxer at all. I
never tested the quicktime demuxer at all so I don't know how well it can
handle movies produced with Adam William's quicktime4linux codec.

>If you want to write some kind of hardware accelerated MJPEG codec,
>you should only write one version of this codec. This plugin should
>then be used by the avi, quicktime and movtar muxer plugins ...

Hardware-accelerated codecs will come later. This is about software-codecs.
All the three formats are based on libjpeg. So I should write a
'lav-demuxer' (or a movtar-demuxer and check the AVI/QT demuxers on how well
they can handle our movies) which grabs the JPEG frames which can then be
deocded by a JPEG-decoder?

Ronald