[gst-devel] Some problems with GStreamer 0.1.1

Simon Per Soren Kagedal simon at cs.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 8 04:13:09 CET 2001

Hi,

I just installed and tested GStreamer 0.1.1 (on my RedHat 7.0 system)
and here are some initial problems I encountered:

1. I can not play WAV files:

~/sounds $gstreamer-launch disksrc location=startup.wav ! parsewav ! audiosink
INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE
RUNNING pipeline
audiosink: attempting to open sound device
audiosink: setting sound card to 44100KHz 16 bit stereo (131072 bytes buffer, 1024 fragment)
audiosink: Capabilities
audiosink:   Full duplex
audiosink:   Realtime
audiosink:   Trigger
audiosink:   Direct access
audiosink: opened audio with fd=5
gstreamer-launch: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/lib/gst/libgstparsewav.so: undefined symbol: gst_riff_new
~/sounds $

And indeed, gst_riff_new doesn't exist in the source tree (but
gst_riff_parser_new does).  I see that in CVS, there is a gstriff.c in
the plugins/wav directory, but this is not in the 0.1.1 release.

2. In the examples directory, "helloworld" and "autoplug" can play my
mp3 files, but "helloworld2" can't.  It just freezes at:

~/software/gstreamer-0.1.1/examples/helloworld2 $./helloworld2 ~/sounds/sesame.mp3
INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE

3. au files just play static:

~/sounds $file startup.au
startup.au: Sun/NeXT audio data: 16-bit linear PCM, stereo, 22050 Hz
~/sounds $gstreamer-launch disksrc location=startup.au ! parseau ! audiosink
INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE
RUNNING pipeline
audiosink: attempting to open sound device
audiosink: setting sound card to 44100KHz 16 bit stereo (131072 bytes buffer, 1024 fragment)
audiosink: Capabilities
audiosink:   Full duplex
audiosink:   Realtime
audiosink:   Trigger
audiosink:   Direct access
audiosink: opened audio with fd=5
gst_parseau_chain: got buffer in 'parseau0'
offset 36, size 341612, encoding 3, frequency 22050, channels 2
gst_parseau_chain: got buffer in 'parseau0'
gst_parseau_chain: got buffer in 'parseau0'
gst_parseau_chain: got buffer in 'parseau0'
[ etc.. ]

And then just noise.

4. So failing .wav and .au, I wanted to play the file as .raw:

~/sounds $sox startup.wav startup.raw
~/sounds $gstreamer-launch disksrc location=startup.raw ! audiosink frequency=22050
INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE
RUNNING pipeline
audiosink: attempting to open sound device
audiosink: setting sound card to 44100KHz 16 bit stereo (131072 bytes buffer, 1024 fragment)
[ ... ]

But I just couldn't get it to set the output frequency to 22050
instead of 44100.  I managed to do this with a C program, by doing
gtk_object_set (GTK_OBJECT(audiosink), "frequency", 22050, NULL) after
the system was set to GST_STATE_READY - that worked.  But how can I do
this with a gstreamer-launch?

Thanks, and sorry for such a long mail, probably all this output isn't
all that interesting. :)

Simon.