[gst-devel] Audio format identifiers and portability

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Wed Mar 14 01:10:04 CET 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 zaheer at grid9.net wrote:

> It looks like depth sould be stored as an integer rather than have 32
> flags. Same I guess applies to width.
Yes.  While the width/packing may be either 1, 2, 3, or 4 bytes, the depth
will not necessarily be.  I have sound gear that puts 18 bits of data into
24 bit samples, which can either be 3- or 4-byte packed.

> Endian, signed look as if a booleanor a flag will do.
Yup.

> Also sample rate should be an integer. Whether its physically an
> integer, float or fixed point (or other) is also important.
True.  There may be cases where someone would be enough of a lunatic to
want fractional sample rates....  ick.

> These are just the physical properties, then you have the actual
> format/compression codec used.
> You have PCM, mu law, A law, GSM, G.723.1, G.723, G.729, ADPCM and many
> others, some of which need extra properties to fully describe the audio.
> All these can fall under the umbrella audio/raw too.
Nope.  Only PCM, mu law and A law are audio/raw.  Everything else is a
different mime/type.  mu and A law would be some variant that describes
them as non-linear, but they're still raw.

> And I bet the same kind of detail is required for video.
More. ;-(

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_