[gst-devel] Audio format identifiers and portability

Thomas Nyberg thomas at codefactory.se
Wed Mar 14 06:38:49 CET 2001

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 11:49:21PM +0000, zaheer at grid9.net wrote:
> It looks like depth sould be stored as an integer rather than have 32
> flags.  Same I guess applies to width. Endian, signed look as if a boolean
> or a flag will do.  Also sample rate should be an integer.
> Whether its physically an integer, float or fixed point (or other) is
> ialso important.
>
> These are just the physical properties, then you have the actual
> format/compression codec used.
>
> You have PCM, mu law, A law, GSM, G.723.1, G.723, G.729, ADPCM and many
> others, some of which need extra properties to fully describe the audio.
>
> All these can fall under the umbrella audio/raw too.
>
> And I bet the same kind of detail is required for video.
>
> These details need to be carefully looked at and planned.

Yes,
you are right. Enums wont work in the way i suggested. However, I still
believe we should stay away from cap- and props-list in the way
they are used for pads. Then it is better to make use of a
struct {
       int rate;
       int depth;
       int endian:1;
};
Which makes it alot easier to query and use.

/Thomas

Thomas Nyberg                    thomas.nyberg at codefactory.se
CodeFactory AB                   http://www.codefactory.se/
Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 10       Cell: +46 (0)70 335 61 64