[gst-devel] jpegenc, v4l and egocam

Mikolaj J. Habryn dichro-evo at rcpt.to
Tue May 1 11:26:43 CEST 2001

In a burst of enthusiasm, I managed to build an almost functional webcam
thing from gstreamer. "Almost" in this case means that gstreamer crashes
my box hard via USB v4l with depressing frequency (for those that care,
using the latest driver from http://alpha.dyndns.org/ improves, although
does not entirely fix, the problem).

At any rate, a couple of diffs attached which may be of (purely
academic!) interest.

The first is the result of applying a chainsaw to the jpegenc plugin. I
don't think it actually worked before - various critical bits of code
were commented out - and I've added some rudimentary caps negotiation so
that it can communicate with v4lsrc and actually get some data out of
it.

The second is a tweak to fakesink to add another signal which can
deliver the received buffers back to the application. It makes
prototyping code much easier than writing a full plugin to attach to the
pipeline.

Egocam itself in a hard-to-use form is at http://www.rcpt.to/egocam/,
and you can occasionally see it in action at http://mikolaj.tv/;
although I usually leave camserv running since that doesn't crash my box
as readily :)

m.